Thursday, August 18, 2016

Sampler Shuffle Progress

I haven't posted progress since I first posted about starting the sampler, but I have been slowly working on it! It definitely takes a backseat to other things, so I haven't made a ton of progress, but I have made a total of 13 blocks so far. I think what I'll do is make most of the sampler shuffle blocks (omitting the appliqué blocks), and then fill in with blocks from the Splendid Sampler that Pat Sloan is hosting. I'm just not sure 30 blocks (what the Sampler Shuffle produces) is really a sufficient number for a good sized quilt. I've mentioned here before, I tend to go with a bigger is better philosophy when it comes to quilts...part of that is that my husband and I are both very tall (I'm only 6 feet tall, but my husband is 6'6") and I love being able to really wrap myself up in a quilt. And I don't really see any reason to rush this project by using really wide borders or alternating blank blocks to make it larger, so I'll just take my time and make a lot of blocks.


In the meantime, they're sitting on my design wall, looking very pretty. I love most of them, but there are a couple that I wish I had done differently, such as this one. I like the colors together, but there's not enough contrast.


My favorite so far is this one.


These blocks have been taking more time than I expected to make. I forget that it really does take quite a bit of time to make individual blocks, especially when they have more than 9 pieces. But, what also is taking longer, is that I generally try to use alternate piecing techniques to save fabric. I completely understand why the instructions are structured the way they are, but I hate cutting off itty bitty triangles that are going to end up in the garbage. So, when I need to make flying geese, I make them 4 at a time. Which means I need to go to the handy table I have saved from The Quilt Pattern Shoppe via Pinterest and make them that way. Same goes for half square triangles.


But, I like making them this way, even if it takes a few extra minutes to refigure cutting. I'm really enjoying this project and I'm totally okay with it being a very long term project.

No comments:

Post a Comment