Monday, September 19, 2022

Scrap Stash Plus

When I saw Emily Dennis's Scrap Stash Plus tutorial, I immediately wanted to make one. I recognized in it the Inside Out pattern designed by Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew, which I own already, but loved the alternating background Emily used. And the rainbow. So good. 

It took me a while to get around to actually making it, though not too long. And as it happened, I didn't expect to finish it as quickly as I did. I brainstormed a color scheme (I opted to go for a partial rainbow, just pink to green), and then, because I was working on some pretty big and demanding projects, I decided to just make a couple blocks to give myself a break from the tough stuff. 

But, when does a couple of blocks ever stay a couple of blocks? I continued on with my harder project (I think it was the Patchwork City sampler...) but I added in a few of these blocks a day and became thoroughly enamored with them. I made it a bit bigger than the throw size, but a few rows shorter than the twin size, and it's the perfect oversized throw for our family. I love the scrap variety, I didn't reuse a single colored scrap (though I had to reuse a lot of the low volume scraps because I just didn't have enough). And I love the rainbow/ombre effect. 



I backed it with a navy blue minky and it's lovely. I bound it with Kona Curry, even though there isn't any yellow in it, and I think it's the perfect bright-but-not-too-bright complement. 


Also, side note, as I cut out the background, I realized that for one block, I had miscalculated with my scrap and I was one 2-1/2" square shy. It happened to be a print from April Rosenthal's Midnight Magic, and I just happen to live in the same city she does. I reached out to ask if she had any scraps of the print and she graciously gave me a whole fat quarter! Quilters are the best people. I was so grateful. 

Scrap Stash Plus, quilted by Abby Latimer, completed May 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment