Thursday, September 15, 2022

Swoon Sixteen 2.0

My second daughter had been patiently asking for a minky-backed bed quilt longer than my oldest daughter and as most middle children, she gets overlooked more than is fair and often very patiently waits. I couldn't keep pushing her quilt request off when I had just made a quilt for my oldest, so luckily for her, her quilt request shot to the top of the list. I got the top done shortly after my oldest daughter's, and they went to the quilter together and were finished together. I might have finished hers first, just to make sure she got looked after. 

I picked out a stack of fabric I thought she'd love, and she did. I thought Swoon 16 by Camille Roskelley would be the perfect pattern, and I do enjoy piecing quilts in this style. Camille Roskelley and Allison Harris are among my favorites, even still, and they have patterns I'm most willing to resew. I'm contemplating another Shimmer quilt (I've made two already, plus a Wallflower, which is nearly the same pattern), and it's similar to the Swoon in construction and look, and it's just a pattern I enjoy sewing. I was glad when she said she'd like it.

I think it turned out really great. I used some leftover Ruby Star Society lawn (a major sacrifice!) and some others that I'd been holding onto for a while. We backed it with aqua minky, and that gave us a hard time. Apparently, aqua is a color that has been hard to restock, and since it's popular, Abby Latimer had been out for a while. I went on a search of local quilt shops and found it after checking a couple, and they had *just* enough. Like, I texted Abby after they measured it to make sure it would be okay. She said she could make it work and I was so so glad. My daughter really wanted aqua, and I didn't want to let her down. 

She doesn't really sleep with hers, either. But that's okay. I'm pretty sure she loves it too.

Long arm quilted by Abby Latimer, completed March 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment