Friday, October 21, 2022

Fabric Friday Week 1: October 21

Years back, when I was trying to get a blog going, I did a Fabric Friday column because I'd seen so many successful bloggers with consistent weekly content and thought it would be fun, and a great exercise in color. I think it really helped me grow as a quilter, and it kept me familiar with my stash, which is always a good thing when you have a large stash! I eventually let it taper off because weekly was a lot of work.

I still love playing with my fabric and often have multiple fabric pulls ready for a quilt that I either can't decide on a pattern for or haven't gotten around to sewing yet. So, this week, I'll start with one of those, and share plans, and hopefully in the future, I'll get back to this habit and use it to stimulate my creativity through color schemes or fabric pulls. I'll shoot for weekly, but it probably won't end up being weekly, haha.



Today's pull is one I've had on my shelf for a while, waiting for a pattern. I've thought through different patterns I've seen, what type of pattern might work best, and I think I've settled on another Shimmer quilt by Allison Harris. I love that pattern, I've made it twice, and I've made Wallflowers once, which is nearly the same block with a different setting and different block size. I love it. It's a really fun quilt to sew up. I've also considered a Swoon, which is a similar feel, but I think I'll go with Shimmer.

 

Aren't these great together? I really love all the colors and it feels really me with the different prints. 


This bundle was inspired by the Rifle Paper florals. When they first came out, I had to have them. But I couldn't figure out how to use them. So one day, I sat down and pulled out fabrics in all the colors from the print with the exception of the background color. I really like it and I'm excited to see it as a quilt! I'm opting for a Shimmer quilt because I think the centers are large enough to show off the print. Some of my fabric isn't large enough as the pattern is written, so I'll have to use more fabrics to make up the difference, which I'm completely fine with. I love lots of prints in a quilt, and I think I've pulled more than necessary for a lap quilt anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment