Friday, October 28, 2022

Fabric Friday Week 2: October 28

Here we are for week 2 of Fabric Friday Reboot! I have another bundle I've got stashed away this week, this one started out as a quilt kit so it feels a bit like cheating. I went to the Garden of Quilts at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi this year and it was so fun! I'd never been, and I didn't go to any classes, but it was a great and full day. They had a few booths for vendors and that was really fun, too. I picked up a quilt kit from Pine Needles (which has a brick and mortar in Gardener Village in Sandy) because I just couldn't say no! It was an economy block quilt made from the Little Women fabric by Jill Howarth. It was adorable. I'm not a Little Women fan per se, but it was just too much. I got home and resolved to make it larger and decided I wanted some additional yardage. But...I got sick, and didn't make it back to Pine Needles shop for several weeks and by the time I got back, they had only a few bolts left. I really needed more of the fussy cut yardage so I ordered some from Hawthorne Supply Co, which is one of my favorite online shops, along with the gingham I needed for the cowgirl Halloween costume. That's how I justified buying more Little Women fabric, anyway...


In the picture below, the row on the top is fat eighths (I think...I should check, maybe they're 1/8 yard cuts...) that came in the kit. I purchased half yards of a couple that I really liked. The stripe on the right of that row was the intended binding but there obviously won't be enough so I'll just use it in blocks. The row on the left is the focal prints I have that I'll use for fussy cutting the centers. On the right are the low volumes I've pulled, including the background print that came with the kit, and I think I'll mostly stick with the A/B block layout from the kit, with low volume prints on the outside of half the blocks. That's kinda the plan, anyway. 


I don't typically make quilts from one line, so I was happy to pull additional fabric from my stash to go with it. I really love how it's come together, and I love the additional fussy cut fabrics I found. I think it's really going to add to the quilt. I think I'll also make bigger blocks. The pattern for the kit used 6" economy blocks but I found a tutorial on Amy Smart's website, Diary of a Quilter, that has instructions for 8" blocks. I'm really anxious to get going on this one, but it will have to wait a bit longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment