Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Sewing lanyards

Later this summer, we're heading to Europe with the girls. I'm really excited, we have some really fun things planned! We will be spending a few days in both London and Paris, though, and I know they are going to be PACKED. Europe is packed right now, and it's only going to get worse as the summer goes on. We've got reservations made for dinners in London and we've already purchased tickets and a few other reservations, so I'm not too worried about getting into what we're interested in doing, but I am a tad worried about walking around in busy crowds with our four kids. 

SO, we decided to use airtags to keep track of them. I was looking around for necklace holders, and couldn't find any that were simple but secure (some look awfully breakable...) and then it occurred to me: simple lanyards. We could attach the airtags to keychain holders, and then use keyrings on the lanyards. I let my girls each pick pretty much any fabric from my stash, since it would require so little fabric, and I whipped them up a few days ago.



I did some googling for basic measurements, but didn't end up using them. I cut strips 2-1/2" wide by WOF, and then I pressed them in half lengthwise and then pressed the ends into the middle. I stitched down both long sides and then kinda held it up and measured around my own neck, figuring if I could get over my head it would be more than plenty for the girls. I settled on cutting the strips 30-1/2". 



Once I cut them, I serged the two ends together so they wouldn't fray, fed the keyring on, and then did two lines of stitches across the ends, one close to the edge and one 1/4" closer to the keyring, with a short stitch length. And that's it! Super fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment