Friday, January 5, 2018

Scripture Tote

My oldest daughter turned eight the first week in January. First of all, I can't believe that I have an eight-year-old! Second, eight is a really big birthday for Mormons. Eight-year-olds are eligible to be baptized, which is pretty exciting! Like many other families do for their eight-year-olds upon their baptisms, we gave her her first set of real scriptures (as opposed to cheap paperbacks) and I really wanted to make her a scripture tote for them.


A few years back when our oldest niece was baptized, I made her a simple tote bag, but I wanted something a little more structured this time. I have more experience with bags now, and I just wanted something a little more finished.


I turned, naturally, to my favorite bag designer, Dog Under My Desk. She has a quick zip lunch tote that looked perfect! She recently released an updated version of the pattern including two sizes. I let my daughter pick the fabric, though I pointed out an Alison Glass Ex-Libris panel that I thought she'd love.


(Don't worry; she vetoed several of my suggestions...I may have shown her this panel but I didn't force anything on her) She picked out a black fabric to go with it. and luckily I had a green zipper that is a pretty great match for the panel.


This pattern was great, and so quick. I made a couple of changes; I used fusible fleece instead of insulated batting (obviously, there was no need for insulated batting, and it's so loud) and I also added a piece of Peltex in the bottom to add structure to support the scriptures (which are not light...). I added it after the fact, because I felt the bag sagged under the weight. But with the way the bag was sewn together, it was easily added after--I just had to rip out the last seam and slip it in, and stitch it back up.


Anyway, the bag is a perfect fit for the scriptures, and the panel turned out to be the perfect size for the front. I really think she'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment