Friday, November 4, 2022

Fabric Friday Week 3: November 4

I inadvertently fell in love with a fabric that is completely not my style, but I didn't even care, because it's so darling. Art Gallery Fabric put out this vintage Christmas print in one of their lines and it was so cute. At first, I bought just a remnant for a steal at the Garden of Quilts. Then, I decided I needed a bit more, and a couple other focal prints in the same style. And Ruby Start had some pretty cute vintage-y prints that I thought would work...and then all of a sudden, I had a bundle of fabric for yet another Christmas quilt. 


The only problem is that it isn't my style.

But I'm not sure I care? 

I really don't go for vintage stuff, normally. And this print that caught my eye, that I had to have, it has flocked trees. In white AND pink. Guys, don't hate me, but I think flocked trees are so extraordinarily tacky. Like, so bad. I remember seeing my in-laws' Christmas tree for the first time the first year after we married, and it was flocked. I guess if you live in sunny southern California, you need the flocking so you can feel festive? I don't know. They thought it was so pretty and I just thought it looked weird. Fake. Snow. Why? But, I do love green. So I'm probably biased toward more natural looking trees...

ANYWAY, I don't do vintage. Or Santa, really...I don't think I had any Santa prints before this one. So I guess we'll see. And maybe it'll be my girls' favorite and they'll fight over it every year...who knows. 

Years ago, I decided I wanted to have enough Christmas quilts that when the girls are all big and move out, they can take a memorable Christmas quilt with them. Which meant I needed at least four. And then we started a fun tradition, and they all get to sleep with one on Christmas Eve. JUST Christmas Eve. They love it, and spend the whole month of December trying to decide which one they want to pick. I have way more than four now, which is good, so no one is stuck with the one no one wanted, but apparently, I can't help myself because I want to make yet another Christmas quilt to show off these cute prints.


Right now, I'm thinking a Meadowland quilt. The centers are nice and large and would show off the prints well. And this stack of fabric is what I'm currently thinking. We'll see. The row on the left would be the fussy cut centers.

No comments:

Post a Comment