Sunday, June 26, 2016

Rainbow Dash Mini Quilt

Last year, I signed up for the Rainbow Mini Quilt Swap Round 2 run by Kate Basti. She runs a tight ship and I remembered seeing so many beautiful minis during the first round, so I was thrilled to be able to participate! I got a really lovely mini from Leah.


And for my partner, I made a rainbow churn dash mini. I wanted to use different fabrics for every patch, and that meant that, because of how I would sew the half square triangles, that I would have twice as many as I needed for her mini. I decided to use extra long pieces and make double the other blocks as well so I could have a mini of my own.

And then I got pregnant. I hurried and finished up the mini for my partner and sent it off, but the other blocks waited and waited until I felt up to sewing again.


I finished it a week ago or so. I did have to cut new center squares because apparently, I neglected to do that. Instead of fishing out the same fabrics and cutting new squares, I used some extra mini charm squares from V&Co's two lines Simply Colorful and Simply Colorful 2 I had in my bin. They were just the size I needed and the colors were spot on for the blocks. Yay! The only other difference between my new mini and the original for the swap is the binding; I bound the original in white and bound mine is gray. I think they're both good binding colors for this.

I love it. I don't know if my partner loves hers, I hope she does, but I love it and I'm looking forward to getting it up on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment