Friday, November 17, 2017

Beauty and the Beast mini quilt

Many moons ago, I was excited about mini quilt swaps. It took me a while to get the courage to sign up, and then I waited for a swap I was excited about, and over the course of several months, I signed up for three swaps. The first was an Around the World craft swap, and I got a beautiful mini with a bicycle. After how well that one went, I signed up for Kate Basti's rainbow swap round 2, and then couldn't resist signing up for the second round of the Disney quilt swap.

And then I got pregnant with twins.

I was far enough along on the rainbow swap that I was able to finish that one, but while I had started the Disney mini, I wasn't clear enough on my direction, so I dropped out. I was heartbroken, but mostly I was nauseous and exhausted. Exhausted.

My partner was a librarian who loved Beauty and the Beast, among other things. I wasn't familiar with Mary Blair, who she noted she liked, but I had a great idea for Beauty and the Beast. I found a paper-pieced pattern for Chip, and decided to put him on a pile of books. Perfect, right?


I was certain that my partner would love it. Alas, she never got it because I had to drop out and she received a Mary Blair inspired mini that she loved.

Of course, it is perfect for me, too. :-) I have an MA in English literature, so a Beauty and the Beast book-inspired mini is just right.


I wanted to receive a beautiful, perfect, Disney-inspired mini.

And in a way, I did.

I clipped off one corner of a book, which bums me out, but it's not too noticeable. I had a hard time figuring out how to quilt it, but I like what I did, and it was pretty simple. I used one inch painter's tape to mark off columns and then marked the tape with a pen at even intervals to make sure the lines lined up evenly.

Chip
completed March 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment