Friday, November 24, 2017

Get Carded Wallet

For a while, I've wanted to make myself a new wallet. I had previously made a wallet from my friend's tutorial, and I really liked it. But, I didn't do a great job: the card slots were a little loose and the zipper stuck a little. And, while I like the design, I wish that the credit card slots faced the opposite direction because I tended to drop them out if I needed to access the zippered pouch. Not ideal.

So, I started looking for a tutorial or a pattern, and started with Dog Under My Desk, my favorite bag pattern writer. Her patterns are thorough, well-tested, and just all around amazing. I ordered the Get Carded pattern, and set about making myself a new wallet.



I had made a second Dollie cross body bag I made this summer for a friend, and had enough leftover fabric to make a matching wallet.


This pattern, like Erin's other patterns, is well written and well-thought-out. She even has figured out a way to make it without any hand-sewing and no binding. Such a win, and she does it in such a cool way. She also provides several variations for the two outside pockets. I opted for the gathered pocket (it's so feminine!) but I'll probably make one with a flat pocket for my husband, and you can make a vinyl ID pocket, or a plain one. It's so nice to have options, but I found that it made the pattern hard to follow.


Even with that minor thing, the pattern is awesome. Really, if you want to try bag making, try Erin's patterns. They're amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment