Tuesday, May 1, 2018

May One Monthly Goal

Last month was a great month for sewing. I'm not sure what changed, really. But, I've been able to dedicate a lot of my babies' nap times to sewing and it's been great. I did accomplish my ONE monthly goal to finish the baby quilt for my friend and I gifted that to her at her shower. See the last post for pictures of the quilt. I also laid out some other goals that I wanted to accomplish and I'm happy to say I got all of them done! I not only finished four of the blocks for my Venice Wallflowers quilt, I got all of them done and assembled it. I not only prepared the the pattern and fabric for my Butterick 6411 dress, I finished it (and should have made it one size smaller, since I had to take in the sides quite a bit...). I bound my triangle quilt (pictures in a few months) and got photos taken so I can submit it to a competition. And for personal goals, we did some fun things for spring break. We went to the library, we did some art projects, and the girls got to play with some friends. And, I haven't entirely planned out a little summer camping trip, but we're on our way. We've got a camp site reserved in July at Capitol Reef. We need to figure out what supplies we need to purchase now that our family is bigger.

SO, last month was great, and I hope this month is as productive. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish and what I MOST want to accomplish and I think I've narrowed it down well.


My ONE monthly goal is to make my girls their Hopscotch outfits (pattern by Oliver and S). I've sewn them each two Hopscotch shirts (see the above photo for one), but I haven't made skirts yet and I have the most darling fabric to use. I ordered a fun corduroy by Cloud 9 from Hawthorne Threads for the skirt and it's blue with bold white geometric flowers and yellow centers, and some mustard yellow knit by Art Gallery Fabrics for the top. I have the pattern pieces all prepped, so I just need to prep my fabric and go for it. The skirt has buttons down the front, and I've never done a button hole for real (just the practice ones in the machine class when I bought my machine) so it'll be a stretch for me!

Here's a short list of some other goals.
  • Sew a shirt for myself from a McCall pattern I have. I've sewn two from this pattern already and I like the fit. The first time I made it I didn't make any adjustments and the neckline is a little low for me. The second time, I made a long-sleeved version and the fabric wasn't quite right, but I altered the neckline to a great spot. I want another short sleeved version so I want to make it from the red Birch plus sign knit I bought last year.
  • Select a pattern and start cutting out a black and white quilt for my husband. He's wanted a black and white quilt for years and it's never been a big priority for me but I've slowly collected black fabrics for him. I think I've got the pattern picked out (Inside Out by Cluck Cluck Sew), so I've just got to make up my mind and go for it!
  • Make some progress towards the camping trip for the summer.
  • Get summer break schedules and goals worked out for the girls. It's coming so fast! I've got some ideas floating but need to finalize rewards and specifics.
  • Keep exercising 3 times a week. I was pretty good last month and I want to continue and hopefully feel better and get stronger.
I'm linking up to Elm Street's One Monthly Goal.

7 comments:

  1. Cute dress. Your goals are awesome. Buttonholes aren't so difficult to make. You will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! I've got a Bernina with an automatic button hole foot, so that should help! :-)

      Delete
  2. Great goal. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an impressive goals list. I admire your clothing sewing as well. That is such a cute top and in knit too! I need to learn to sew with knits. Have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I'm so new to garment sewing! And knits, I've been finding, are almost easier with the stretch. Just get good quality knits. I've had much better luck with name brands than with Joann's knits. ;-)

      Delete
  4. What an adorable little outfit. Your girls are going to look adorable in them :)
    I love the idea of a monthly goal. I feel you can achieve what you set out to accomplish when your timeframe is a month. I'm going to check out that linky!

    ReplyDelete