Friday, May 11, 2018

Venice Wallflowers Quilt

I've worked for a couple years now on a Patchwork City Sampler quilt. I've been using travel-themed fabrics related to my favorite travels, because I thought it would make the quilt really special, and I'm pleased with how it's coming along. Of course, it's meant that I've purchased loads of novelty travel prints (which isn't all that disappointing, let's be honest!), but it has been pricey. When Kate Spain's Grand Canal line came out, I knew I needed to include the grand canal print. We visited Venice on our 10 year anniversary trip to Italy, and it's a beautiful city. Unfortunately, none of my local shops carried it, and by the time I had decided which print to purchase, the only place it was available was on Fabric.com, where you must purchase a full yard. Normally, I purchase just a half-yard, particularly for a project like this where I'll need very little. But, I wasn't confident that a precut would have a good piece for my purposes, so I bought the yard. And since I did, I had enough left to do some fun things with! I made my sister a notebook cover, and then schemed on a way to use the rest for a fun quilt project. It took me quite a while to pick a pattern that would show off the print adequately, but I finally settled on Allison Harris's Wallflowers quilt. It was quite similar to the Shimmer pattern which I've already made and thoroughly enjoyed, so I had great confidence in this one as well.


It did not let me down! It went together surprisingly quickly, although I took a brief hiatus to make a baby quilt for a friend. And it showed off the print well. I'm so excited about this.

It's a queen sized quilt, which is the largest I've ever made. I thought about making it even larger by adding 10" borders to make it officially king sized, so that I could use it on my bed. But, as I looked at it, it's not a quilt I want on my bed. It's got a bunch of pink in it and that feels funny for a bed to me.

I haven't gotten it quilted yet. My stack of quilts to be quilted is steadily growing...hopefully I'll get them all off to be quilted soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous quilt! It's going to be a lovely reminder of your travels :)

    ReplyDelete