Monday, March 30, 2020

Sugar Snow Quilt

I love quilt books. Who doesn't, right? I have a few I bought and was excited about, but haven't really used much yet...but there are a handful that I have used extensively. Vintage Quilt Revival by Lee Heinrich, Faith Jones, and Katie Clark Blakesley is one that gets a lot of mileage. I've made seven quilts from it now, I just love it. I'm kinda surprised it took me as long as it did to get around to my Sugar Snow quilt, as it is so striking and it's been on my list since I bought the book. I think I hesitated because I dislike making exact replicas of quilts generally, and I couldn't think of how to make it my own. In the end, I didn't change much from the original; She used a few prints in the blocks while I used only solids, and I changed one color, but largely it's very similar. I do like mine better, with the fun metallic essex linen I used. I am so thrilled with how it came out that I was even willing to hand bind the binding.



I haven't hand bound a large quilt binding in, well, ever? I'll hand bind minis, of course...but big quilts...no thank you. But this quilt got the special treatment. And I'm glad I took the time to do it; it looks so sharp.

Marion McClellan did the custom quilting for me and she did a fantastic job! I love how it turned out.


I got this quilt done relatively quickly, too! I ordered the fabric on black friday, and took the quilt top to Marion in mid-January, and I finished binding it in early March (the day before our governor shut down Utah for the Coronavirus. Ugh).

In any case, it's done and it's beautiful and it looks perfect in our new living room. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment