Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Little Women quilt

If you've seen very many of my quilts, you'll know I definitely don't stick to a single fabric line when selecting fabric. It's not my style. I like quilts to be unique, to be me. Sometimes, it doesn't work out. This time, I think it did.

Last fall, I went to Garden of Quilts at Thanksgiving Point with a friend. It was great, I had a great day. There was a small vendor area, and a local shop had a booth. They had a sample quilt with a kit for sale and even though it's not my usual style, and I really don't tend to go for kits, I just couldn't help myself! It was an economy block quilt with Little Women fabric by Jill Howarth. 

I very quickly determined it make it larger and drove to the local shop, about 25 minutes from my house. I was delayed about a week because I got really sick, and by the time I got there, they didn't have much fabric from the collection left. I intended to purchase a bit more of the focal prints to help make it larger. I ended up ordering some from Hawthorne Supply Co, one my go-to online shops. And of course pulled a bunch of fabric from my stash. 



When it came time to cut, I decided to make the economy blocks a bit bigger than the kit pattern, and I used a tutorial by Diary of a Quilter for the math.

I think I didn't get the layout perfect, I have clumps of darker ones, and sometimes the blocks aren't spaced as evenly as I'd like. Overall, though, I'm pleased with it. I backed it with coral minky and I think it will become a fast favorite of my girls. I ended up with another wavy binding, even though I was careful and I'm beginning to think that maybe it happens mostly with minky backed quilts...if that's the case, I'll just have to suffer through wavy bindings because I love minky just too much. Consequently, I have four little girls myself and relate to the Little Women story, so this quilt feels special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment