Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Fiore Skirt

I am really excited about the trip we are planning for the summer. We're going on a bike tour in France! The company we're using makes reservations at the hotels for you and provides all the bikes and routes, and you get to spend a week biking between hotels in France. I'm really excited, I think it'll be really great. But, it's the summer, in France, so it'll be hot, and I'll be wearing bike shorts, which aren't all that attractive, so I thought I'd whip up a linen skirt that I could quickly throw on over my bike shorts, and that would be nice and cool when we weren't on the bikes. I've already made a Fiore Skirt by Closet Core and I love it. I should have made it a tad bigger, as it sits higher on my waist than I like, but it's a great skirt. I made it out of a rifle paper canvas, so it's got good structure and I think it's a great length on me. I made the view with the buttons that hits mid calf (though on me it hits just below my knees, lol). 

This time, I opted for linen, a leftover cut I had in my closet. I traced it at the next size up and treated it like a wearable muslin, since I already knew my size, and went for the wrap version, which hardly needed a muslin anyway because you can adjust the buttons to your waist. I whipped it up pretty quickly, but thought I had placed my buttons well, but they were far too loose and the skirt looked a tad ridiculous. I didn't realize how important it was for skirts to sit at your natural waist.  I've got them sorted now, though, and though they could be a tad tighter, I'm okay with where they are. 


I used leftover linen from Fabrics-Store.com, and I was just shy. I had to use a slightly different purple linen for the the pocket and the facings. I used a couple of mismatched buttons from my jar, and I had thread leftover, so this project effectively didn't cost anything. (obviously I bought the fabric and other supplies, but for projects that have already been made, so it feels free, lol, but I guess a better word might be economical. And who couldn't use some economizing these days, amiright?).

I think it turned out great, and my biggest complaint is that I don't have many tops that look great with purple. Oh well, I've got some light merino wool in gray that I intend to make into a t-shirt, and it should work well. Oh, and somehow, after my first wear, the waistband seam ripped apart in the wash. I was able to handstitch it back together easily, but I thought that was odd. Not sure what happened. I also really love that it's the same pattern as my canvas skirt but looks entirely different because it's a different view and different type of fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment