Friday, April 3, 2015

Fabric Friday: April 3

This has been a long week. And yet, so fast. So, so fast. And I'm so glad it's almost the weekend. It's General Conference weekend for our church, and it's pretty much awesome. Yes, it's like 8 hours of church crammed into one weekend, but you get to wear pajamas while you watch. And, it's so uplifting. We hear from the prophet and apostles and other church leaders, and it's a great weekend for focusing on family time and increased spirituality. If you're interested, tune in, it's available for live streaming on the internet.

This week, I've been working on my Swoon quilt. You can check out my Instagram feed to the right there--I've got five blocks done! I love seeing how they come together. Even though I imagined what they would look like as I planned, they all are turning out just a little different, and I love it.


Now. fabric! Right? I mean, that's really what brings us all together, right? A while back, I entered a contest on the Fat Quarter Shop blog for a bundle of Cotton and Steel fabric, and I won! It was for a remix of fabric, and I pinned some of my favorites that I thought worked really well together. Of course, it never really looks the same on the screen, and one fabric (from the Mesa line) that I thought was similarly colored just wasn't. I was a little disappointed that it didn't match the others like I thought it would, and I was a little concerned about how I would use it.


But, I found some fabric in my stash that worked! But then, I had a hard time figuring out a contrasting color. The cotton and steel fabric has two colors, but both colors are cool and close on the color wheel, so even picking a bundle with both colors didn't really have a lot of contrast.


I auditioned some contrasting colors, but just didn't love them. Then I remembered a blog post I read a while back about someone's experience at Quiltcon. I wish I could remember who it was, so I credit her, but she talked specifically about Carolyn Friedlander's workshop and how she had really struggled because she tended toward high contrast color combinations and Carolyn's are much lower in contrast. I decided to see how it would work as a low contrast bundle and added in some neutrals. And I like it!

From top to bottom: (my fat quarter doesn't have the info on the selvage, but it's by Sweetwater, and I think it's the Wishes line.), Mixed bag by Studio M, Wallflower by Allison Harris, Dottie by Cotton and Steel, Mesa by Cotton and Steel, Dottie by Cotton and Steel, Modern Meadow by Joel Dewberry, (no name on the polka dot, but it's made by Riley Blake, and the solid is probably a Kona, but I'm not sure and I definitely don't have the color. I need more of it, though, so I'm hoping I'll be able to find it again! ;-)


Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to make a Swoon quilt for Ilene's queen sized bed. Correction: I don't want to make it, I just want one. Too many pieces. But the big blocks make me think i might actually get it made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to make a Swoon quilt for Ilene's queen sized bed. Correction: I don't want to make it, I just want one. Too many pieces. But the big blocks make me think i might actually get it made.

    ReplyDelete