Friday, November 6, 2015

Fabric Friday: November 6

I love autumn. I think it all really started when I studied abroad with my university in Paris. I went for Fall semester, and I think it was there that I realized how much I really love the season. The crisp air, the getting-cool weather when it's still warm enough to be outside but not so hot, the beautiful leaves, the clear air, the color. I just love it. It's also a time for new beginnings. I spent so many years in and around academia, that fall is, for me, really the start of a new year. My birthday also falls in mid-September, so it's almost like a kick-off celebration. :-)

Paris, Fall 2013
Capitol Reef National Park, 2014
Fall is so inspiring for me artistically, too. Some of my favorite photos are from the fall season. I'm so drawn to the colors. They're dramatic. It's like the sunlight actually acts differently during the fall; it's not so sharp and glaring. Which makes for beautiful colors. I might be making that up, but that's what it seems to me.
South Fork Road, Provo Canyon, Fall 2014

central Utah, 2013

One of my favorite photos I think might not actually have been during the fall; I can't remember when I took it. But the coloring is the same coloring I've been enjoying here in Utah lately. Partly stormy skies with brooding, gray clouds, clear blue skies yielding bright colors, bright green grass and bushes that haven't quite gotten the memo, brown from exposed trees that have lost their leaves, and gold, orange, and yellow leaves.

South Fork Road, Provo Canyon, Fall 2014
Provo Canyon, Fall 2014
Yeah. Fall. Love.

So, the other day as I was driving my daughter to school, I was just in awe of the beautiful colors I get every day, and finally made a mental note to go home and pull a bundle. I started pulling fabric, and pulled fabric, and pulled fabric until I had quite a stack. Or, rather, stacks. :-) It's really almost the whole rainbow, which I was trying really hard not to do, but fall is a rainbow, really. And it doesn't look too much like a rainbow without a lot of red, or purple at all, so I think it's okay.



I also pulled out some solids. One of the grays I remember buying and thinking it looked just like storminess. I love weather. And fall, especially in Utah. Or Paris. Either way.


Okay, I'll try to get all the fabrics right.
Green stack: I don't have a selvage for the pear, but it's by Makower, Basically Beautiful by Maywood Studio, Dottie by Cotton and Steel, Wallflowers by Allison Harris, and the polka dots are by Riley Blake.
Blue stack: Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter, Ink by Alison Glass, Modern Mini by Lori Holt, A Beautiful Thing by Zoe Pearn, Dottie by Cotton and Steel, Prisma Elements by AGF in-house studio, and London Fog by Camelot.
Neutral stack: Countdown to Christmas by Sweetwater, Moonlit by Cotton and Steel, Not So Spooky by Holly Hill Quilt Designs, Dottie by Cotton and Steel, Hometown by Sweetwater, (No selvage information), and Remix by Anne Kelle.
Warm color stack: Hoodie's Collection for Blank Quilting, Netorious by Cotton and Steel, Modern Herringbone by Joel Dewberry, Meadowbloom by April Rosenthal, Priory Square by Katy Jones, Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter, Nomad by Urbanchiks, and pb&j by Basic Grey.


Whew, that was a lot! I actually really want to make something with this huge stack, though. Hmm...scheming...

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment