Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Harry Potter Mini Quilt

I've been wanting to make my good friend, who has a fun etsy shop called Odds n Evens, a Harry Potter quilt for a long time. She was a school teacher before she had her son, she's an avid reader, plus she loves Harry Potter. She has even made her cute origami stars out of pages from Harry Potter just for books lovers like herself! So cute.

But it took me a few months to find just the right design. I wanted something subtle and modern. Maybe simple is a better word. Not easy, necessarily, but simple in design.


When I saw this post by @this_chick_quilts on Instagram, I knew almost immediately that it was the one. I elected to switch out the colors and use more traditional Hogwarts colors. Kona Charcoal was the perfect background! I had all the fabric already in my stash, so I don't know what the other colors are, but I'd bet almost anything they are also Konas.


I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out all the appliqué pieces, and just top stitched them down. It shouldn't need to be washed. The font is a free font I found by googling Harry Potter fonts, and it's called Lumos. It's pretty easy to find. I created a simple polygon lightning bolt in the Silhouette software, and downloaded a file from the Silhouette store for Harry's glasses. It took me a little bit to figure out the quilting; I'm not very good at free motion, and without many seams to help act as guides, I was worried. But I really like the diagonal lines. I think it works really well with the design.


I really love how it turned out! And if I didn't love my friend so much, it might have been harder to give up. I might have to make myself one.

Harry Potter Mini Quilt
Completed October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment